Walks around Thirsk
Walks around Thirsk – July 2014
Thirsk Tourist Information Centre has a lot of leaflets with walks in the area. Some are round and about the town centre whilst others take you out on the extensive public right of way network.
We also have many books with walks collections covering this area, the North York Moors and the Yorkshire Dales.
Fingerposts help you get around the town and there are many pleasant areas to view whilst undertaking the walks. Once completed, come back to the Market Place to enjoy a refreshing cup of tea or coffee and do a little shopping.
Links to suggested walks
Blue Plaque Trail
This is a walk around 20 historical sites in Thirsk and Sowerby marked by blue plaques. These record important buildings or people associated with our town. The walk takes anything up to 1½ hours.
Past & Present
Thirsk and Sowerby Past and Present is a town and countryside trail that has been designed by the local community. A leaflet with a map and historical notes on all the expanatory boards around the town is available in the Tourist Information Centre. The walk takes anything up to 2 hours.
Short and healthy walks around Thirsk
Independent walk packs with maps of some routes have also been developed so that people can walk out more frequently and maintain the health benefits. Paper copies are available from Thirsk Tourist Information or the Hambleton Strollers coorinator – or you can view and print a copy of the Thirsk pack from the link above.
A white horse set into the side of the Hambleton Hills. The suggested walk takes anything up to 1 hour.
Walks sheets you can get in the Information Centre
- Sandhutton Circular 7.4 miles – 3hrs 10min
- Thirsk-South Kilvington Circular 3.7miles – 1hr 50min
- Pudding Pie Hill Circular Walk 3.7miles – 1hr 30min
- Felixkirk Walk 7.6miles – 3hrs 10min
- Kilburn White Horse Walk 5.6miles – 3hrs
- Pickhill-River Swale Walk 7.8miles – 3hrs 15min
- Thornton-le-Moor Circular 4.5miles – 1hr 50min
- Felixkirk-Kirby Walk 4.1miles – 1hr 45min
- Sutton-Boltby Circular 6.8miles – 3hrs 30min